July 19, 2010

Falafels


I love making falafels. I'm seriously addicted to them because they are so easy to make, you can be creative with them, and you don't have to eat a lot to feel full. I got my first falafel recipe from vegetariantimes.com. It was a pretty basic recipe but it gave me my base for my falafels so I'll include a link to the recipe here.

This is my own recipe for this specific batch of falafels, but really you can add anything you feel like to them.

Falafels
1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 Tbs. Tahini
1 orange, 1 yellow, and 1 red mini sweet peppers, diced.
1 Tsp. Coriander
1 Tsp. chives
1/3 cup flour
Olive oil, for frying

1. To make Falafels: Pulse chickpeas, tahini, coriander and chives in blender or food processor until mostly smooth, but still chunky. Transfer to bowl, and stir in flour and peppers.

2. Shape chickpea mixture into 1-inch-thick patties. Pour enough olive oil into large skillet to have 1/4 inch in bottom. Heat over medium-high heat. Place patties in pan, making sure patties don’t touch. Cook 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper-towel-lined platter to drain.
We served them on a salad with tomato and Caesar salad dressing, which I think made them even better as well as adding a lot more nutrients. It's a good hearty meal loaded with protein and I am going to make it a few more times while I'm still in Colorado :)

No comments:

Post a Comment