July 24, 2010

Roasted tomato soup

I love soup. I love tomatoes. I love Peppers. I love cheese.
I love tomatoe soup topped with cheese.


Of course, you will be needing 5 tomatoes, cored (if necessary) and quartered. Also, you may use regular bell peppers, but we used 4 mini sweet peppers (We used red and yellow) And of course, 3 medium yellow onions, peeled, quartered.

Hand ingredients to someone else to chop, particulary the onions (I hate crying while chopping, its hazardous).
If you happened to hand them to someone who chops as slow as Sarah, feel free to run a marathon, buy a coffee and a snack on your way home, take a nap, and watch a few episodes of lost, as I did, while you wait.
I meant I watched lost...not ran a marathon.
I could've...but I didn't.


Preheat the oven to 375F degrees and position 2 racks in the middle of the oven. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
Arrange the tomatoes, skin side down, on a baking sheet. Give the peppers and onions an olive oil bath and put them on the other baking sheet along with the garlic, place the pepper skin side down as well. Give both sheets a light showering of salt, then bake until the tomatoes start to collapse and the onions start to brown and caramelize, about 45 minutes.
When they look as beautiful as this, and the garlic is ooey, gooey, and the cloves are slightly browned, take them out of the oven.


Peel the garlic, dump all of the roasted vegetables into a big, high-sided bowl, and puree with a hand blender. If you are cool enough to have a hand blender. Then, send the hand blender to me. Thank you.
If you are like me, use a food processor and work in batches. Blend in a cup of the stock, and keep adding the rest 1/2 cup at a time until the soup is the desired consistency. Add the paprika, chives, and sugar.
Oh, so pretty.

See the clumps? That is how we prefer it.
But, if you prefer a smoother soup, feel free to blend longer.

Transfer into a pot over low-heat to heat through. Top with cheese.


We ate with a breadstick on the side.
AKA in the soup.
A.K.A an amazing addition to this amazing dish.
Enjoy.
An Official list of ingredients. Because my scatter-brain explantion of what to do is sloppy.
But you love it
5 tomatoes, cored (if necessary) and quartered
3-4 mini sweet peppers (I used red and yellow)
3 medium yellow onions, peeled, quartered
extra-virgin olive oil
5 plump cloves of garlic, unpeeled
fine-grain sea salt
2 - 3 cups light vegetable stock or water
1 1/2 Tbs. cut chives
1 Tsp. sugar
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika


1 comment:

  1. Tomorrow we will have that..you are an awesome cook

    ReplyDelete